Thursday 27 May 2010

Microsoft Publisher Taster Session

3609247118_4c4ebd7ee9 

The venue for our special taster class this evening was the new impressive Barry Library. Located on King's Square in Barry, the building originally housed the town hall which opened originally in 1908, and now is a state of the art Library and Learning Centre.

In the beautifully air-conditioned computer room, I presented what was a taster, or rather a preview to a small group of prospective students of what is to become my new class for the September 2010 term. The new class was inspired by a few of the students I had in my Autumn 2009 Digital Photography Class for Beginners. We had produced a calendar using our own photographs as an exercise, and a few in the group had expressed an interest in doing a course that created more of that sort of thing.  With this in mind, and realising that perhaps running two Digital Camera classes was too much (in terms of student retention), it seemed the right choice and time to do something about it. I proposed the idea to the centre staff, and they agreed. Microsoft Publisher is the application that I will use as the foundation for this class, and it is my intention to introduce students into the wonderful world of home crafts using the product. From calendars, brochures and greetings cards, to huge oversized posters for special occasions. Although this course is heavily focused on the creation of design projects, there is still a small element of digital photography in it, as in simple advice on taking photographs in the first instance, but those how want to know a lot more about the camera side of things, or altering photographs would be better suited to coming along to the Tuesday camera class.

I am looking forward to teaching this new class, it has been about 4 years since I have changed what I am teaching, and I hope it is enjoyed by those who will hopefully sign up!  If you are reading this and would like to enrol for the course then please contact Barry Adult Education Centre on 01446 738054 or the Palmerston Education Centre on 01446 733762.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment