Sunday 30 May 2010

Windows Vista and Windows 7 Backup & Restore

I’ve been testing the Backup & Restore facility of Windows 7 for the last three evenings,  and have come to the conclusion that is it pretty damn good!  It’s available under Windows Vista too. Using my FreeAgent Go portable USB vista-backup-icondrive I set the first scheduled backup to take place on Friday evening at 7.00pm.  I knew this was a good time to schedule it, as usually we have friends over and I wouldn’t be sat using the desktop PC at that time. The amount of data that I have that needs backing up took about 5 hours to complete!

Saturday night, I had a second backup scheduled. I wanted to know whether or not it would create a second backup or replace the original. Now what impressed me most, was the time it took to do this in, and that was 10 minutes! Windows Backup keeps track of the files that have been added or modified since your last backup and then updates the existing backup, which saves disk space – and time!  This being the case I have adjusted the frequency of the backups to be everyday, late in the evening. (My computer is never off, so for me that the most convenient time).

Try it out for yourself, and if you need some help this Windows 7 Backup article has information to help you, and a video clip as well  – I’m suitably impressed!

No comments:

Post a Comment